A Beginner’s Guide to Getting as Muddy as Possible at MuckFest
How do we spell “love”? Funny you should ask! Because on MuckFest, we spell it M-U-D! As in MUD! Our love for mud knows no bounds, and we love seeing all of you get into the mucky spirit. But if you’re a first-time Mucker, or you feel like you haven’t quite taken full advantage of the mud in the past, we are here to help! MuckFest is about getting muddy for a great cause after all, so you might as well make the most of it.
- Get down and dirty in the Muckin’ Corral: Your first few steps into the Muckin’ Corral will be a weird feeling. You spend most days trying NOT to get muddy…and now you’re willingly stepping right into it. But lean into this new muddy freedom! Kneel down andget mud in your hair, stick your face in the mud, or splatter mud on your teammates. The muddier you get at the start, the more you’ll be able to let loose out on the 5K course.
- Don’t skip the Triple Pits: Since it’s usually towards the start of your MuckFest run, Triple Pits can seem a little intimidating at first, but don’t let that stop you 💪 Dig deep and crawl up and over…you’ll come out a muddier runner.
- Stomp in every puddle: In between obstacles, you can still get your mud on! We work hard to give you as many opportunities to get muddy as possible, so if you see a puddle on the trail…don’t run around it! Head right through and enjoy the splash. 😊 You can get training tips to help prepare for the running portion of the 5K course on our blog, too.
- Just let go (on The Spinner and Flying Muckers): Instead of trying to hang on as long as possible, make the most of your hang time on our airborne obstacles by aiming to make the most epic splash as you hit the water! It might clean off some of that original mud, but the water will also prep your skin for more mud to dry on as you run in the sun.
- Don’t be defeated by the Spill Hill: Up, up, up you go! Or…maybe back down! Spill Hill gets the best of many a Mucker, but don’t let it beat you. Dig into that mud and make your way up to the top, then slide down through even more mud.
- Slip and slop your way into the water: Slippy Sloppy is always a favorite for our Muckers, and it’s also a great photo opportunity! Go feet first and put your hands up for a fun selfie (just make sure you have a waterproof case!)
- Take your time in the Belly Crawl: This is the last obstacle before you cross the finish line so enjoy every muddy moment as you wriggle your way through your final bit of muddy goodness.
- Let the kiddos get muddy too: Did you know that kids aged 5-10 can get muddy in our Lil’ Muckers area? Because they can! Though we have lowered our minimum age on the MuckFest course to 10-years-old (with an adult guardian), younger kids can also play and have fun on smaller versions of our obstacles. No one should miss out!
- Make the most of shower-time! Who says the muddy fun has to end after you cross the finish line? Have fun with your pals while you shower off in our MuckFestival area to splish and splash one last time while you de-mud. Then, donate your muddy shoes! We have partnered with the organization Funds2Orgs to donate your used muddy shoes to microentrepreneurs in developing nations across the world. So, when you’re done mucking it up, you can donate your kicks to help those in need and help spread the MuckFest impact beyond your hometown. 👍