10 Reasons Why You Should Run a Mud Run in 2016
Co-writer: Heather Anderson, Guest Blogger from OCR United
So you’ve been seeing quite a few commercials as of late about folks ‘getting muddy’ and climbing over these crazy tall walls. You are thinking to yourself, as you are lounging around on the couch, that those people are nuts, but it sure looks like fun! Maybe I should try one?
In fact, you SHOULD try one. Not only will you have the time of your life, you will feel a huge sense of accomplishment when you cross that finish line! Leave the couch behind and venture outside to run, jump, crawl, traverse and swing your way to a healthier you!
Here is a list of 10 reasons you SHOULD do a mud run in 2016
- Promote a healthier lifestyle
- Don’t let the name fool you. You don’t only run at a mud run event, you’ll find yourself running, jumping, swinging, rolling, and most importantly, laughing. All great ways to work your way to a healthier lifestyle.
- Spend time with family and friends
- Doing a mud run with your friends and family is a great way to spend some quality time together. In fact, family fun is wildly encouraged and many races even have a designated ‘kids run’ or ‘kids course’ just for the little ones. Hey! They want to get dirty too!
- Sense of accomplishment
- Nothing feels better than that sweet sense of accomplishment when you cross the finish line covered in mud. Doing a mud run not only enables you to feel accomplished because you finished a 5K, but also because you tackled all those obstacles.
- Force you to face fears
- Most people are afraid that they can’t do a mud run or obstacle race, but you shouldn’t be scared. If an obstacle makes you nervous or is too high, you can simply run around it. Those who face their fears and tackle the challenge usually come out laughing and having a great time.
- Meet new people / build camaraderie
- Mud runs are a great place to make new friends! There are a ton of people there to help you get over an obstacle and motivate you to get to the finish line. It really helps build camaraderie and you might even make a few new friends by the end.
- Get outdoors
- There’s no better way to enjoy nature than by playing in the mud. Doing a mud run helps you to enjoy a nice day outside while getting in some exercise and having a blast!
- Get the feeling of paying it forward
- Many mud runs require team work. In fact, for some obstacles you may need a helping hand. Helping someone out on the course is a great way to pay it forward with kindness and a warm smile. It will make someone else’s day and yours too!
- Do things you wouldn’t normally do
- Not many people can say that they spent a day rolling around in mud and dirt. Get outside of your comfort zone and impress your friends by doing something that not many have checked off their bucket list yet.
- Great photo opportunities
- Mud runs provide the BEST photos ever. Who else has pictures of themselves jumping down to a crash pad like an action star? Or making their way through huge swinging balls like a real life pinball machine?
- The Swag
- Participating in a mud run not only means laughing all day, but it includes some other pretty cool perks. Including a free beer (or soft drink), t-shirts, an after party, and much more.
So get off the couch and into the mud in 2016! Still have doubts? Sheila H. recently did a mud run and had this to say: “Words can’t explain how much fun I had.”
About the writer
OCR changed my life!
Together with my day to day gig as an employed Creative Director, three years ago I found a new passion, OCR (Obstacle Course Racing)! From this new found passion, and lots of support from my husband Todd, OCR United was born. Founded in 2012 near Clearwater, FL OCR United has since been working hard to :::Unite Everything OCR::: Along the way, I’ve achieved significant weight loss and become an avid OCR runner. This past year we are most proud of building an impressive all PRO team, consisting of 12 rock solid athletes, not to mention, building many long lasting relationships in the OCR community.